Deny Me Not
“You knew my mother better than that…”
“I don’t know what you’re intimating, girl, but I’d watch what I was saying if I were you.”
Born in a 1960s mother and baby home Hannah Casey has never known her father but when her mother finally discloses his name she is determined to confront him.
Her search takes her into the rural community of Rathbrandon where her arrival impacts dramatically on arrogant landowner Abe Stephenson; on his unsuspecting wife, Florrie, and on the relatives who think that only they should inherit his property.
Will Hannah survive the battle and will the truth really set anyone free?
Set in 2004 Deny Me Not is a story about chickens coming home to roost, the nature of love and greed and of how secrets revealed have the power to knock a world sideways.
I read it in two days – Author Suzanne Power
A work of gripping substance – Wexford People
An intelligent page turner – Irish Examiner
A powerful modern book – Irish Country Living Magazine
If you’d like to read an excerpt of it click here
Here are some interesting links where you can read about Deny Me Not:
4. Metro Herald
Please click here to listen the interview with Margaret Hawkins about Deny Me Not which was on South East Radio’s Morning Mix with Alan Corcoran on 4th April 2013.
To purchase a print copy, click here for Amazon.
To purchase for all other reading devices, go to this link and select your format.
- St Patrick – and more – on my mind (3/16/2019)- It’s a very different kind of St Patrick’s weekend this year. Because of what happened last year it’ll always have an extra resonance now One day – one special day and certainly a welcome national break in the middle of the week – that’s what St Patrick’s Day was in our neck of the woods […]
- LOVE STORIES BEGIN WITH RED FLANNEL… (3/11/2019)- LOVE STORIES BEGIN WITH RED FLANNEL I heard an interesting story about how a couple met over the weekend. These ‘how it happened’ stories are always enjoyable. I was talking to my godmother who is 94 about a neighbour of ours around the same age and how that woman – S – had met her […]
- FREEWHEELING UP THE HILL LAUNCHED TODAY (3/9/2019)- Well, it’s done! An ebook collection of poetry and prose – Freewheeling Up The Hill – has now gone live on Amazon and it’s a huge buzz to have another book up there to accompany Deny Me Not and Restless Spirit. It is also a bit nerve-racking putting new work out into the world but pens-crossed […]
- Cappucino Addiction (2/22/2019)- Most of us remember where we were when big events happened. I’m not old enough to remember JFK being shot but I do remember where I was when 9/11 occurred. I had been in a house near New Ross interviewing a man about rural planning issues and having said goodbye to him I drove further […]
- Porridge Ponderings (2/7/2019)- Porridge ponderings Isn’t it gas how childhood experience can put one off a particular food for decades? For me it happened with porridge. I couldn’t stand the stuff. Made on water. Salt added. Yuk! No matter where I was – home or away – the last thing I’d gravitate towards was that oaty repast. […]
- Where’s the beef? (1/28/2019)- WHERE’S THE BEEF? All this talk about us having to cut back on beef to save the planet made me think of burgers and summer and the grá we Irish have for this American, now Irish, favourite. Every August Monday we run a parish fund-raiser and every year a burger stall is a welcome part […]
- Making A Difference at Christmas (12/21/2018)- It’s always good to hear about people who are going out of their way to help others – especially at Christmas. I was delighted to interview these three farmers – Francis, Clive and Victor who are making a difference in their localities in Donegal, Wicklow and Tipperary. The article is in the Irish Farmers Journal […]
- SUNDAY MISCELLANY 50 JOY (12/10/2018)- SUNDAY MISCELLANY 50 JOY Last Friday night, December 7th, was a big night for me – and possibly for someone who died 45 years ago – my grand-aunt Ess, short for Esther. She was remembered in style, at least, when a radio essay that tells her story was included in the collection of 50 audio […]
- RAINBOW ROAD TRIP (4/8/2015)- It was a good value break – super even, and an opportunity to hit the road in search of the brain balm that getting out of one’s bubble can bring. R&R – rest and relaxation, refreshment and recovery, with a shot of pilgrimage thrown in.
- DEATH KNOCKS THE BLOGGING OFF YOU (9/30/2014)- Death can knock you sideways. One minute life is going on as normal and you’re getting on with work and play and your head is full of stuff that seems important – what to cook for dinner, what article to tackle next, the car tax needing to be paid, a pet due a vaccination, how […]
- WHAT’S IN A NOTEBOOK? MORE THAN YOU’D THINK (5/8/2014)- I’m a notebook lover – no, not the film, the items that you write in. I have a stack of them, collected since I was fourteen years old, so it’s a long-time addiction. I love the feel of them and the look of them, even the smell of them, but above all I pay homage […]
- THOUGHTS FOR MY PENNY (3/24/2014)- Traumatic – that’s what it was – the day the animals dropped off the face of our coinage. No more bull, no more horse, no more deer standing regally over my purchases. After January 1, 2002 they were side-lined, ditched, destined never to see the light of mint again. Coming across an old penny between […]
- HIDDEN CHILDREN AND STORIES TAKING OVER MY HEAD (2/12/2014)- Stories taking over my head – that’s the way my two books started. In both cases it was visceral – an in-the-gut awareness that I couldn’t not get these stories down on paper. And there’s nothing to beat those magic moments of realization – they’re utterly life changing. Restless Spirit:The Story of Rose Quinn, was […]
- IT WAS ALL RIGHT ON THE NIGHT! (4/19/2013)- Book launches are nerve-racking events. Will anyone turn up, you wonder, or will you be left standing there crying into the back page because it’s all gone belly-up? Thankfully the launch of Deny Me Not wasn’t like that! Instead, 300 people packed the hotel room and there was music, laughter, chat and celebration – definitely […]
- MAGPIE MAGIC – HOW WRITERS GET IDEAS (3/25/2013)- It’s a question I get asked a lot – where do you get your ideas for stories? The answer is anywhere and everywhere. I call it ‘magpie magic’. Just as a bird gathers feathers, grass, twigs, leaves and God knows what to make its nest, anyone who writes has a mind open to gathering a […]
- RURAL WRITING ROCKS (3/12/2013)- Welcome to my first “official” blog post. I’m looking forward to sharing my thoughts related to writing, rural living and God knows what else with you. Think diary, rant, news report, memo to the world related to stuff that’s making me tick – and tock – or maybe even stuff that’s getting on my wick. […]
- Sneak peak of Deny Me Not! (2/13/2013)- I’m delighted to present the cover of my first novel, Deny Me Not, which will be launched next month. It’ s very exciting to be able to present the look of the book – and to know that in just a few weeks, it will be available to readers not just in Ireland, but around […]
- Working hard on the new book (1/21/2013)- Busy busy this week on finalising Deny Me Not for publication – soon!